A friend with a late period Italian persona was elevated and so I decided a mere two months beforehand that I was going to knit her replicas of the silk stockings in which Eleonora di Toledo was buried in 1562. I had no real goal in mind other than pretty silk stockings that were reasonably historically accurate. As they’re very well studied, I looked at patterns drafted up by other re-enactors, such as Dame George Anne of Æthelmearc OP, and compared them to high resolution photos of the originals as well as Richard Rutt’s section on them in A History of Hand-knitting . The modern interpretations were accurate for my purposes as I intended to shape them to fit the recipient rather than making carbon copies, although I did mix methods and came up with my own version. Looking at commercial yarns used by those who’ve knitted them before, I went with Ashford Silk 20/2 since it was available at a local yarn shop. The silk was undyed and the recipient’s favourite colours were silver and pur...
One of these days I'll remember to take photos in good light, but that is not this day. I really like this one, due in no small part to the simplicity of the design. I also love how annoyed Goliath looks as he's dying. Unfortunately, I forgot the blood splatter that was supposed to come out of his neck!
It has been a minute! Been distracted with looking for work, eventing season, the world descending into madness... So have a fun scroll I did a for a friend awhile back. She has an Italian persona so I went a little overboard with what's essentially a step above a thank you card. Note the entire map of Italy in the capital complete with an orca! In progress capital that was ~1.25 inches square The border is based on a prayer book from Milan ca. 1430 ( MS M.944 fol. 19v ). The capital is also based on a 15th C. example, but I can't remember the exact source.
Comments
Post a Comment